So Wednesday rolls around and off he goes to Vegas. When he landed in Vegas, he sent me this text:
Joe: Landed. Vegas!
I did not respond. Day 1 completed :)
Wednesday night I left for Atlanta for work, and was there from Wednesday night to Friday afternoon. During that time, we had no communications. This was probably the hardest part of the bet for me to keep because, I hate flying, and we were flying through all sorts of thunderstorms. This was probably the time I would have called him for some moral support - but stayed strong in the name of TIFFANY'S.
Friday afternoon, just as I landed at the Philadelphia airport, I received another text. This time a picture of a lion, from some show they were seeing. My response: :) - just a smiley face, no words, and still no call. Friday night when I got home, I was sitting on the couch and he wouldn't give up, another text:
Joe: Tiffany's is looking really nice, especially the engagement rings.
Ok, bust out the engagement ring word? That's low. Of course that will solicit my interest, but definitely still no call.
My text response: Bets still on :) Take a good look at those rings.
Now mind you, to date during his trip, none of this communication was even initiated by me. It seems as though, the more I did nothing.. the more he stepped up to the plate and tried to get in touch with me. I began to wonder, is this true in real life, and not just in bets? Is it true that the more that you chase someone- the more they run.. and the more you just do nothing, the more you force them to make the effort and come to you. I always thought that showing I was a good girlfriend meant putting in the effort, calling, keeping in touch, being there fore him. It seems though that the more I try and do those things, the more I don't give him a chance to show me he can make the effort to. So the question is-- where is the happy medium where both people know when to go the extra mile for the other? I don't know the answer.
Saturday morning. 9 am.
Text from Joe: Got some compliments on the Ben Sherman blazer you picked out for me. Great pick! Maybe one day me and you can come to Vegas just the two of us. I am playing black jack now, maybe we can catch up tomorrow (and by tomorrow he meant Saturday- since he was still awake from Friday night)
Nicole's response: Nothing.
5 minutes later - the unthinkable. Phone rings - its Joe. I let it ring a few times so as not to seem eager and pick it up. I specifically state - terms of bet did not include you calling me.
His response: I caved.
We talked for about 10 minutes, before he went back to playing black jack. He told me about his trip and the fun they had been having. But he told me one thing that validated the reason I had made this bet in the first place. I felt like Joe thought I was needy.. that I couldn't live my life without him. I told him before he left that he had know idea how great of a girl I was and how he did not appreciate me for all the things I do, and all the freedom I give him compared to most girlfriends. When he left, he couldn't see what I meant. But what he told me on the phone made me know that he gets it now. He said that the other girls were calling/texting continuously annoying their boyfriends who just wanted to get away together for a five day vacation. He said they would text at least 3-4 times an hour- and the boys were getting so frustrated.. they inquired as to why he hadn't heard from me.
His response to them: Shes smart - she said she wouldn't call if I buy her Tiffany's.
Their reply: Dude, you have the best girlfriend ever.
MY PLAN WORKED:
Their validating our relationship to him, and telling him I am a keeper, will only help me in the future. I want him to see that he does have a good girl, and he should nurture that more instead of take it for granted. Its Sunday morning, I still haven't called, and the hardest part is over. He will be back Tuesday night - hopefully with my gift. I cant say the bet was all for him, because it definitely proved to me that I don't NEED to talk to him as much as I think I do... and I am stronger then I give myself credit for. I'll let you know if I end up with the engagement ring (breakfast) or just a snack(the necklace I originally wanted) Either way, I'm the winner all around.
No comments:
Post a Comment