A few months ago I was surfing the web for volunteer opportunities when I came across United Cerebral Palsy's website. While they didn't have any volunteer opportunities available that would fit in to my schedule, however, they were advertising a 5K set for April 26th which began and ended at the Philadelphia Art Museum. United Cerebral Palsy is an organization which I am incredibly passionate about. UCP educates, advocates and provides support services to ensure a life without limits for people with a spectrum of disabilities, including, but not limited to CP. While my case is mild, some cases can be severe and incredibly debilitating. I thought a 5K would be a perfect way to improve my own health as well as give back to the organization. The race was for people of all abilities, including wheel chair participants. I figured this would be a perfect way to break my 5K virginity without feeling intimidated. I created a donations page, and began a sporadic gym regiment.
On the day of the race, I was nervous. I had never ran more then a mile at any one time on the treadmill and now 3.1 were ahead of me. Joe was confident that I could do it, and we set a goal to complete it under 55 minutes and only walk if absolutely necessary.
 |
| Prerace |
 |
| Mid Race - I look like I am going to die |
As we ran, I looked around at the people using walkers and wheelchairs and felt lucky just to have the ability to be running in a 5k. My life could have turned out much differently if I had been wheel chair bound. Even though my life has had its fair share of challenges, I've gone though nothing compared to some of the people that surrounded me that day. I continue to feel blessed by everything I have and have been able to accomplish, despite my disability. I may not have been the fastest that day, but I ran, and I finished in 47 minutes.....13 minutes ahead of my personal goal. Joe and I raised $455 for UCP through donations from our friends and family. Thank you to all of you for your support and to Joe for running along side me and being encouraging the whole way. I plan to complete this race again next year with a goal of under 30 minutes.
 |
| All done! |
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us"
 |
| Art Museum |
 |
| Center City at Night |
No comments:
Post a Comment