Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Our Engagement Story

On March 15th weekend I flew up to Rochester for a visit; I had been planning the trip for a couple weeks prior since I hadn't seen my grandparents since Christmas. I had asked Joe if he wanted to come, but he said he wanted to stay in Philadelphia for St. Patricks Day. So, I booked a flight by myself, angry that he did not want to join me.

That day, I worked a half day and then went to the airport to find my flight delayed about an hour due to weather in other parts of the country. Since I had extra time,  I decided to change out of my work clothes and put on some makeup (this would prove to be a valuable choice later in the evening). When I arrived in Rochester, my dad picked me up from the airport; we had planned to meet my mom for dinner at one of our favorite restaurants, Tony D's. Tony D's has a beautiful view overlooking downtown Rochester and the Genesee River and has the best Italian food ever.

When we got to dinner, my mom was waiting for us at a table on the covered deck overlooking the water. I sat down and ordered a drink and began to chat with my parents. My phone rang and it was Joe, I begrudgingly answered and he said he had just arrived home from work and was making dinner (this made me angry all over again). He casually asked how the weather was, as it had been snowing earlier in the day. I turned around and looked out the window to check the weather,  and there he was.. standing on the river with the most beautiful 2 dozen roses I have ever seen! In the time that I had worked and flown to Rochester, he had driven there!

I got my coat on and walked outside. He handed me the flowers, and we walked a little down the river for what felt like an eternity, but was probably only 400 or 500 ft. At the edge of the river, he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. I said yes and the whole restaurant of people started clapping and pounding on the glass windows! It was a perfect moment and one that I will remember for the rest of my life! We walked back inside to eat dinner and celebrate and call everyone. I don't think I got to eat one bite of the Italian food I was looking forward to so much!

One thing I must say is how impressed I was with the thought and effort that he put into the engagement. Sure, proposing on the  trip to Vegas would have been fun story, or a night out in Philly at an extravagant restaurant. But he knows me.. and he knows that the place I hold most dear to my heart is my home and nothing meant more then being able to share that moment with the people that matter most in my life -- my family, who I don't see enough of these days. I will remember that night for the rest of my life.



Here's to love, laughter and happily ever after.. hopefully.. hahha

2 comments:

Toni said...

So happy for you both!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS again!

Unknown said...

Sooo cute! I love this story!!

background