Tuesday, August 17, 2010

To the one I love...



I received the above card in the mail from Meggie P. in the mail this week. It was a pleasant surprise as I was flipping through the usual junk pile that arrives at my door daily.

I looked at the front of the card, amused but confused.. then opened it up. On the inside it said " I just realized everything about him pisses me off" (I think the guy has his man jewels hanging out, but I cant tell for sure)

Meg had purchased the card in California while on vacation with her family because she said it reminded her of me & Joe and the bumps in the road we've faced the last few months as VA has been coming to an end.

As I laughed at the card, I couldn't help but realize she was probably right...
Looking back over the last year, I can honestly say that there were many a day where everything he did JUST PISSED ME OFF; and I am sure he felt the same way. :) Distance, is one of the hardest obstacles to over come in a relationship because it is such a challenge to remain in sync being so far apart. And if you can find someone who you can survive a year away from, there is a good shot you will have a good relationship when they are by your side :)

I am happy to report that Joe will be coming home permanently the weekend after next. We made it! While there were many a day that I did not enjoy the distance, and truly thought I would crack... I learned a lot the last year about what it takes to truly make a relationship work for the long haul.

I learned: That compromise is key. Space from a person actually keeps things spicy. Its important to put yourself in the other persons shoes during an argument. Both people have to work to make the relationship successful. Making a meal together and having some 'fun' can fix most problems, the rest will be fixed by a good night sleep. The most successful relationships aren't necessarily the ones who fight the least. Never go to bed still angry. Don't be too hard on yourself or your partner, most people are doing the best they can given our very busy lives. A year is not that long in the span of a life time. Time has a funny way of working things out, have the patience to wait for it.

Well, Joe, I am sorry for all the frustrating moments, and the endless nagging phone calls... and the stupid arguments because I was angry you weren't here. I am sorry for all the days that no matter what you did--you just pissed me off. I'm sure there will be many more, so get used to it. Thanks for sticking by me through a very trying year. I hope that this year brings great things to us, and many more fun things to share. Oh yes, and even though I've learned a lot from your one year hiatus to VA, its now mandatory that you are no more then 20 miles away at any given moment. I love you.

No comments:

background