This week I was hard pressed to find any news that really interested me much. Then, today I finally found something on USA Today. According to US 2010 Census, thirty percent of Americans have never been married, the largest percentage in 60 years. Obviously, the article gives the standard reasons why this occurs: "cohabitation is continuing to increase in popularity." and "marriage is becoming optional and people are choosing to do it later in life." As if these weren't the obvious answers. But this got me thinking, if 30% of America is unmarried, why do I feel like 100% of my friends are getting there and FAST?!I'll tell you a story of why I feel that way. Last week, I decided that since all my good friends seem to have other plans for the future like moving in with their boyfriends/getting engaged, I better find some new girls to hang out with or I am going to be bored and alone in Manayunk. I contacted a girl I hung out with in college in hopes that maybe she would not be glued to her boyfriend... and would be interested in hanging out. She gladly accepted and I was really looking forward to our meeting for drinks and catching up. I talked to her last week and we agreed to meet today. And then a crazy turn of events. In the time between when we had talked last week, and our meeting scheduled for today... she got ENGAGED. Talk about awesome timing. Last night she left a message that "due to her recent engagement, she'd have to reschedule".
I feel as if everywhere I turn I am surrounded by engagement these days. I must say, even though I am trying to be happy for my friends, I am sort of annoyed by it too. There is only so much of everyone elses happiness you can stomach before you start to feel left out.
I know someday I will be engaged too, and get married, and we will move to the suburbs and meet other couples to be "our friend". But, sometimes I wonder if the days of having girl friends are just plain dwindling as my woman friends meet guys and make them their world. Everyone seems to be planning out their future these days instead of enjoying the moment. It sort of makes me angry... because I believe that having girl friends is important.. yet I know I'm guilty of it too sometimes... forsaking friends for my boyfriend. I don't think it happens with guys as much, I think they have an easier time maintaining friendships and a relationship too... it seems they just do a better job at making "man time" a priority.
So, anyone else agree? Even though anti-marriage rates nationally seem to be at their highest ever.. it seems to me, 100% of my friends still want it.. and sooner rather then later.
No comments:
Post a Comment