Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Pilates Party of One

After my attempt at spinning, I was still on the hunt for an exercise routine that would break up the monotony of the gym. I had heard many good things about Pilates and decided shortly before Christmas that I would ask for Pilates classes from Santa. I found a Pilates studio in Manayunk that offered a combination of private lessons and mat classes as a package called "get to know Pilates". I thought this would be a perfect way see if it was something I would enjoy. I think learning at your own pace and getting personalized attention is the key to enjoying and feeling successful at a new exercise routine. Looking back, I think that is why I did not find spinning enjoyable, I jumped right in and did too much too fast.

The Monday after New Years was my first private lesson. After work, I met the instructor/owner Jen at the studio. Jen practices classical Pilates. For those of you who don't know, Pilates is a body conditioning routine that helps build flexibility, muscle strength, and endurance in the legs, abs arms, hips, and back. It puts emphasis on spinal and pelvic alignment, breathing, and developing a strong core or center, and improving coordination and balance. Classical Pilates focuses on the original teachings of its creator, Joseph Pilates. Joseph Pilates originally developed his method as mat exercises but subsequently added several pieces of apparatus to help people "get the method in their bodies".

This week in my private lesson, we continued to work  on the apparatuses in order to get the hang of things. This is my first time working one on one with an instructor and I love the personal attenion. Jen makes sure that I am doing all of the moves correctly and modifys them to my level.

 The funny thing is, at the end of the work out you arent sweaty or tired, the way you feel when you leave the gym. However, the next day you are sore even though it seems like you didnt do much. Two lessons down I am loving Pilates and looking forward to the next lesson. I think it definitely going to be something I stick with in the future.I'll keep you posted when I join mat class.

No comments:

background