
So the home renovation projects continue this week. My main entry door is a wood door that is also equipped with a storm door. The storm door, has been annoying me the last few weeks. Sometimes the latch works and the door stays shut, and sometimes it doesn't. Also, upon cleaning my basement I realized that the storm door came with a screen that can be used in the warmer months to get air. But, the current door handle, while it has a lock, I was never left the keys, so I feel weird about ever leaving the door open and using the screen
This week, I went on Home Depots website to look at what I might need to fix the door. I bought a new handle, new clips to hold the screen in, and a new one of those things that hold the door from swinging too far, as the most recent storm had broken mine since the latch wouldn't stay shut. I got out of work early yesterday because I was working at a different office. Upon arriving home, I found that my Home Depot order had arrived. At this point, I contemplated if I should wait for Joe to do this or not? If I had to admit defeat, I would be sans door handle until Joe could come help me. I decided to take the project on.
I went to the basement and got the screen that matched the door and cleaned it off. Then, I unscrewed the old screen clips, and removed the glass where I was going to put the screen. I put the screen up and inserted the new screen clips which held the screen perfectly.. PROJECT COMPLETE... THAT WAS EASY.
NEXT: Feeling pretty good about myself, I decided to tackle the door handle next. I unscrewed the old door handle to find that one of the main screws holding the darn thing together was stripped. At this point, I was standing with my screwdriver at a stand still. An old man walked by and said, "man gotta love a woman trying to fix things around the house." (as if this is a foreign concept in the new millenia). Next my neighbor walked by and offered to help me. With some advanced tools, we were finally able to get the old handle off. Licking my bruised ego, I wasn't sure that I wanted to take the project on anymore.. but the pamphlet only had three steps-- how hard could it be? After about a half hour I had successfully installed the new handle complete with the new dead bolt. The door looked like new. I locked the screen and left the door open to go to the kitchen to make dinner.
I cut some squash, zucchini, and vidalia onions and put them in a hot bag. I threw those on the grill with some steaks. As I stood there by the grill, pretty impressed with my domestic and renovation abilities, I began to think about gender roles and whether they really exist anymore. I know not all girls are like this, but I believe that anything a man can do, a woman can do. I would rather try and fail at a project then not try out of fear or doing it wrong. I am as comfortable with a grill as I am with a stove. I am as comfortable with a hammer as I am with a spatula. Am I the only one?
I think there is a lot to be said for being well-rounded. There is a lot to be learned in this world.. and gender shouldn't hold anyone back. I never knew how a door handle worked until yesterday...and I have a great sense of pride for my new door.
1 comment:
That is awesome Nicole, I can't wait to see it. Also, I like being handy around the house too. It gives you a sense of accomplishment.
Post a Comment