Tuesday, November 4, 2008

There are places I remember all my life, though some have changed, some are gone, and some remain:

Hey all,


So the weirdest thing has been happening to me lately. Boys from the past (ie. past secret crushes who never knew I liked them etc.) have been randomly IM'ing me unsolicited and out of nowhere. There is this one boy, for the sake of argument, lets call him hot army boy (anyone who knows me might be able to guess who this is) randomly IM'ed me last night after we hadnt talked since Fall 2006! Also, this kid I used to love in forth grade (hahah), who ended up not attending a different highschool  then me randomly IMed me asking if I wanted to get together when the pro hockey team he travels with comes to Philadelphia. I havent seen him since probably 1998!

This got me thinking about how time really does change things, becuase when these boys gave me the time of day now, I didnt feel the same way about them that I once did. Its funny actually. If hot army boy had given me the time of day a year ago, I would have danced for joy! Now, it was like talking with any old person... and it wasnt anything wonderful.


How does this happen? At what point do we get over people and just move on? Anyone who knows me well knows that there was one boy from my past who I absolutely couldnt go a day with out talking with. Seriously the world may have ended before a day went by that we didnt keep in touch. Now, days, sometimes weeks go by and he doesnt even cross my mind. 

What is the lesson here? Well I think there is two. One is when you admire someone and you put them on a pedestal. You obsess how they would never/will never feel the same way that about you. We tend I think, especially girls, to give far too much credit to our crushes. In reality, no one is out of anyones league and we should be less intimidated to persue our secret admirers  becuase when you fall out of love with them, you realize they become any old person.

The second lesson- most people and relationships come and go. And it isnt until people start randomly popping up again that we realize how many individuals touched our lives and are longer in it for whatever reason. Many people and places have made us into the people we are - whether they were a blip on the radar or a five year earthquake, they are rewritten our lives just by being in it. This does not mean however, that becuase someone is a part of our past that they need to be part of our future. Sometimes, they teach us a lesson, and we move on, and that is how it should be. I've finally learned to let go. 

No comments:

background