Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Kitchen: The heart of the home

The kitchen is one of my favorite places in my house and where I spend a lot of time. I love to cook, and every good cook needs an accessible kitchen. As you know, I have done a lot of different things to my kitchen from painting to decorating. It was pretty bland as you  can see when I moved in. This week I thought it needed one final touch. I added handles on the cabinets..it makes it so much easier when you are cooking to open them! I absolutely love the large handles I chose from Lowes, and they look great on the cabinets. Cabinet handles are a great way to dress up the kitchen without breaking the budget. I think each handles was around $5 - $6.


Last night I made this Salmon, Asparagus, and Orzo Salad from Cooking Light. It came out delicious. Orzo is great because it give you the "pasta" feeling but mixing it into other more healthy things is much better for you then eating straight up spaghetti and sauce. Everyone knows I am a sucker for a good bowl of carbs.
This salad however fulfilled my carbo-loving needs and didn't leave me feeling bloated and hungry an hour later. 1 1/4 cups of this salad was 310 calories vs. Barilla Pasta which is 210 calories for 2 oz... not including the sauce.! I felt full for the rest of the night and there was lots of left-overs for the rest of the week. If you havent checked out Cooking Light, you definitely should, its a great website for healthy, easy meals to make right at home.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE the new cabinet handles! It's so nice when little things like handles change the look of an entire room.

Unknown said...

I really love the new handles!! They look great in the kitchen and the salad sounds great.

Meg said...

The handles look great (nice pick!) and I really like Cooking Light as well. You know you're an adult when you get excited over new cabinet handles ;)

background